Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Crock Pot Love

As a busy mom I am always in search of a great crock pot recipe.  Being a tried and true cajun lady I just cant get over some of the bad crock pot recipes that are out there.  One pot wonders with greyish colored meat and no seasoning or recipes that are laden with fat and processed cheese(which I am sure is delicious).  I am really trying to keep my family healthy and teach our boys about good food.  But, crock pot gods give me some healthy and awesome crock recipes so I dont have to slump over my stove after a hard day of work and baseball games.  Low and behold....while in the grocery check out land I glance over and see a copy of Cooking Light magazine featuring what you may ask...crock pot awesomness!!!  Before you judge me and my love for the crock pot I would much rather cook in a more sophisticated vessel but please...during the school and work week my crock pot is a saviour!  It saves my family from endless fast food(ugh) and ham sandwiches.  Okay, I am over defending my love for my friend C.P.

  So I found a recipe for Slow Simmered Meat Sauce.  Hmmm...spaghetti is great during the week and I am always on the lookout for a great sauce.  So I decided to give it a try.  Ya'll!  This is seriously the best meat sauce that I have ever had..homemade or in a restaurant.  Absolutely delicous and healthy with a sauce that incooperates carrots which blended into the red sauce (my children are absolutely awesome and spotting a rogue vegetable in their plate)..they didnt even notice...score!

I got a hankering for a ceasar salad and decided to make my own...my 7 year old ate the entire plate of salad!  I always put salad and vegetables in their plates regardless of what it is and ask them to try it (no pressure)..they might be surprised.  Most of the time they love them..and this was no exception.

We ate our dinner on our back patio enjoying our food and our wonderful spring weather.  It was heavenly...right up until our two boys finished their dinner..got up from the table and played on the swing set and between the two of them said the word "fart" at least 50 times.  At least I have my wine.

Slow Simmered Meat Sauce
adapted just a bit from Cooking LIght Magazine

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrot
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 (4 oz) links of italian sausage (casings removed)
1 lb. ground sirloin
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 crushed red pepper
1 (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 16 oz can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon fresh oregano...do yourself a favor and use fresh!
16 oz whole wheat spaghetti noodles
fresh torn basil
fresh parmigiano-reggiano cheese

note** I used Cento brand tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes


1. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.  Add onion and carrot to pan; saute 5 min.  Add garlic; saute 1 min, stirring constantly.  Place vegetable mixture in 6 quart slow cooker.  Add sausage and Beef to skillet(season beef with zattarains), stirring to crumble.  Remove beef mixture from skillet using slotted spoon.  Add beef mixture to slow cooker and the next 6 ingredients (through oregano) into slow cooker.  Season with a shake or two of Zattarains seasoning and sprinkle with kosher salt. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours.  About an hour before I served I stirred in about 1 more tablespoon of oregano and check seasoning.

2. Prepare pasta.  Serve sauce with hot pasta, torn basil, and fresh parmigiano-reggiano cheese...c'est bon!



Rustic Ceasar Salad

3 cloves of garlic minced
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup fresh parmesean cheese
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 or 2 shakes of Tobasco sauce ( or 8 if you live in my house)
Juice of 1 lemon

Blend together in the blender and serve over Romaine hearts.  I also sprinkle a bit of kosher salt and black pepper.

1 comment:

  1. Libellus is intrigued that the anchovieness of the Rustic Caesar is only achieved by the Worcestershire sauce. Also, he muses how this Caesar would do with Endive instead of Romaine. Perhaps a truly Gallic Caesar....

    ReplyDelete